Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560G config - route via a preferred port

nbaconclarks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope someone can help (and I hope I can explain the issue).

Our ISP supplies us with two routers and I want to set one of them to be the preferred route for traffic. While I know how to do a little IOS config I am rather out of my depth with this. Currently if I plug both routers in then we get a lot of packet loss from our remote sites (which makes me think that it's creating some sort of async route but I may be barking up the wrong tree).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

More info about your topology would be helpful.  It might be as simple that two routers send more traffic than the WAN supports to the remote site(s).

No problem, hopefully this helps.

Each office has two Junipers supplied by our ISP. In the two branch offices we have HP Procurves and the routers are plugged in with no packet loss or performance issues (And no extra config on the Procurves).

In our head office the Junipers should be plugged into the cisco switch - when the primary 50meg circuit is plugged in on its own we have no problems and when the backup 10meg line is plugged in we have no problems. When I plug both primary and secondary in we get packet loss from the branch offices - no much but enough to kill the connection to our SQL server.

I'm pretty sure that I need to set one of the ports as the preferred route but I don't know which commands to use to set it.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unfortunately, that only helps a little.

You mention your ISP, so your WAN connectivity is across the Internet?

You mention a 50 Mbps primary and a 10 Mbps backup, but what do your remote sites have?  What's the hand-off for these, Ethernet?

Sorry I wasn't clearer with this.

All three sites have a 50meg primary and a 10meg secondary across a private uncontended WAN. They are fibre connections delivered to a EDD device supplied from the ISP and then ethernet between that and the ISP supplied Juniper. From the Junipers we have a single ethernet connection into the switch.

I was hoping that setting the switch to prefer port 1 rather than port 2 would resolve the problem but I don't know the correct commands to input on the switch.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card