Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509 QoS / Rate Limiting config question

gregwoodson
Level 1
Level 1

Two questions here:

I have used the following basic configuration to do rate limiting on a vlan interface on a 6509:

access-list 100 permit ip any any

class-map match-all ratelimit

match access-group 100

policy-map ratelimit-10Mb

class ratelimit

police 10000000 428750    conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop

interface Vlan1

service-policy input ratelimit-10Mb

service-policy output ratelimit-10Mb

This works in lab just fine- when applied in production the output service policy works, but the input policy still allows 100Mb of traffic.  Im not sure why this is occuring- the only difference in configuration is that the data in production goes thru 2 different switches before it hits the route point.

Secondly, Im having trouble with adding QoS for voice to the mix on the same policy map.  I dont want to have to completely set aside a certain amount of bandwidth simply for voice and lessen their data performance, but it doesnt seem to work the same way as with most routers:

class-map match-any QoS-voice

match ip dscp ef

match ip dscp cs6

policy-map QoS-voice

class QoS-voice

police 2000000 234375    conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop

interface Vlan1

service-policy output QoS-voice

How do I combine the two correctly to give me a vlan port rate limited at 10Mb up and down, but still setting aside (dynamically) 2Mb for voice?

Thanks

Greg

1 Reply 1

meperuma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

1) Could you provide the simple diagram? also  the config portion of VLAN 1 associated ports if any.   Where you are seeing 100MB ? is it by using "show interface" ? can I have the "show policy-map interface vlan 1?

2) It will helpful if  you elabrate you findings on what didn't work. Also, it is advisable  to use the strict priority Queuing for voice traffic.  You can refer the design technotes for C6500 here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/tsd_products_support_design_technotes_list.html

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card