cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catos 6509 and MSFC

eng.bandar
Level 1
Level 1

If we have catos 6509 and MSFC and we need to connect new building with L3  I want to

Do static route between two network i need to but ip in interface of switch should I but this ip on catos or MSFC,

Switch(config)# interface fastethernet 2/1

Switch(config-if)#  ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

In catos if want want do like above command what is the command

Thank  you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can't apply an IP address to an ethernet switchport on 6500 running CatOS on the supervisor. There is no equivalent of "no switchport" that you get with IOS.  So what you need to do is -

1) create a new vlan in the vlan database. This vlan will only be used for the inter-site connection. So lets say you create vlan 10.

2) assign the port fa2/1 into vlan 10

3) then on the MSFC create a L3 vlan interface for vlan 10

int vlan 10

ip address x.x.x.x

only fa2/1 will be in vlan 10, no other ports.

This is the only way to do it with CatOS running on the supervisor.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You cannot do this command in Catos.  Catos is layer-2 only.  You need to configure this command on the router (MSFC) the same way you have it here.

HTH

Reza

ok I will use MSFC but this MSCF cannot see the modules of switch

if you need my config i will make copy

eng.bandar
Level 1
Level 1

ok I will use MSFC but this MSCF cannot see the modules of switch

You can't apply an IP address to an ethernet switchport on 6500 running CatOS on the supervisor. There is no equivalent of "no switchport" that you get with IOS.  So what you need to do is -

1) create a new vlan in the vlan database. This vlan will only be used for the inter-site connection. So lets say you create vlan 10.

2) assign the port fa2/1 into vlan 10

3) then on the MSFC create a L3 vlan interface for vlan 10

int vlan 10

ip address x.x.x.x

only fa2/1 will be in vlan 10, no other ports.

This is the only way to do it with CatOS running on the supervisor.

Jon

hi you ideas. is ok but I will connect two L3 network in diffrenet building in same compus so I will need real ip in the interface to make static route.   if I used you idea cannot make static route   I will but some digram of this idea 

Posted from my mobile device.

You don't need an IP on the interface to use a static route. And i say again, with CatOS this is the only way to do it, you cannot assign an IP to an ethernet interface.

Your route on the other switch would simply be -

ip route x.x.x.x  <-- where x.x.x.x is the IP address assigned to the vlan 10 interface on the CatOS switch.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card