cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE Lab assistance needed

terrelstinnett
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any routers that can be substituted for 3825's in the CCIE lab?

Also, does anyone have a list of equipment that I can use for practice on a home cisco lab?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm sure you are equipped good enough ISRs are not really neccessary, you need 12.4T IOS and routers that support it. Configuration section during real exam may contain 5-6 real ISRs and 4 real L3 switches, plus BB routers. Troubleshooting section contains about 30 virtual routers and some virtual switches. You do not need 30 ISR for your learning, obviously.

I used 2 ISRs, 1 L3 switch, 2 2600 routers (for FR switch and one BB router), 1 2500 router (for console server), 1 Cat2820 for connectivity, 1 Cat2960-8 (for Q-in-Q) and 1 server HP DL360G5 (GNS3 for all other routers and switches) for my preparation. And I was able to implement any topology (INE, IPX, Cisco 360, ...) with that equipment. The only trouble for me was L2 QoS, but you would not face with that problem, I think.

So you may start with your equipment now. You do not need more than two additional ISRs, I think. Do you have Serial interfaces for FR/PPP/HDLC/...?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sergey Fer
Level 1
Level 1

In 95% tasks you may use any ISR (or ISR G2) to substitute 3825. You may also use 36xx, 26xx or 37xx routers to make you home lab easier through GNS3. If you have (probably - I do not know, of course) IOU - you may use it also. The main problem for home lab is - switches. You may use GNS3 emulation through NM-16ESW but their functionality is rather simple. L2IOU is much better

wow thanks a lot! are you able to recommend how many ISR's would be a solid starting point for my home lab? I already have two L3 switches, two L2 switches, and three 2600s. If you cant say much I understand.

Thanks.

I'm sure you are equipped good enough ISRs are not really neccessary, you need 12.4T IOS and routers that support it. Configuration section during real exam may contain 5-6 real ISRs and 4 real L3 switches, plus BB routers. Troubleshooting section contains about 30 virtual routers and some virtual switches. You do not need 30 ISR for your learning, obviously.

I used 2 ISRs, 1 L3 switch, 2 2600 routers (for FR switch and one BB router), 1 2500 router (for console server), 1 Cat2820 for connectivity, 1 Cat2960-8 (for Q-in-Q) and 1 server HP DL360G5 (GNS3 for all other routers and switches) for my preparation. And I was able to implement any topology (INE, IPX, Cisco 360, ...) with that equipment. The only trouble for me was L2 QoS, but you would not face with that problem, I think.

So you may start with your equipment now. You do not need more than two additional ISRs, I think. Do you have Serial interfaces for FR/PPP/HDLC/...?

yes. i have 2 serials on one router and 1 serial on the other two routers.

But i am going to have to see about upgrading the ios's cause i looked last night and looks like they dont have ipv6 capability.

Would you be able to recommend a specific cost effective series of router for my ISR's?

oh, disregard, you already answered that question. duhh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card