Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF load-balancing also redundant?

luthierone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have cef load balancing working on parallel connections between our main site and a regional office. I verify this by "sh ip cef xxx.xxx.xxx.0"

It shows two paths to the other network on each side. I then took down an interface on one end to see if ALL traffic would then take the only available route left. It didn't. Most of the traffic then failed to move. My question is:

Is CEF also redundant, or do I need to configure something else in order to get fail-over to work? See attached file for topology.

thank you

16 Replies 16

Hi again,

GLBP is one of what is called a first hop resolution protocols (FHRP). As such, its utility is pretty much restricted to hosts, not routers.

For fully automated behaviour, what you need to use is a dynamic IP routing protocol, such as OSPF, EIGRP, RIP etc. These protocols are specifically designed for complex networks where the use of static routes becomes unwieldy. Being dynamic protocols, these are designed to route around failures.

In a case such as yours, a routing protocol will detect that a link has failed and will not route over it, giving you the behaviour you desire.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Cool,

thanks friend

case closed...I think

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card