cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change EIGRP Metric for received routes

Bill19795_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following setup. Router1 is connected to MPLS provider1. We are doing BGP to the provider and EIGRP internally. Switch1 is a layer 3 switch and is doing EIGRP STUB routing. I am receiving all of the routes from provider1 to Switch1 from EIGRP. Switch1 is also the default gateway for the location.

I am now in the process of implementing a “backup” network to a remote datacenter that is hosting our primary application. Let’s call this Router2 connected to MPLS provider2. This setup will be a managed connecting from the provider and I will not have access to the equipment. They will also send routes to Switch1 using EIGRP. I will only use provider 2 in the event the route to one location is down, say network 10.10.10.X. On Switch1 my preferred route should always be provider1, in the event that the route to network 10.10.10.X is lost from provider1 I should use provider2.

I could get this to work easily if I had control of Router2 but I do not. I am also very limited in what I can require them to use to send the routes. They basically want to send it as the default and leave it to me to manipulate the route.

So is there a way I can manipulate the metric I receive from router2 within my switch1?

15 Replies 15

Hi,

I've tried this in GNS3 on a router and it worked.I've changed it for the Vlan interface but it should be ok if your IOS version supports it.

router eigrp 10

network 0.0.0.0

distribute-list route-map FILTER in Vlan 10

no auto-summary

access-list 1 permit 10.10.1.12

access-list 2 permit 200.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

route-map FILTER permit 10

match ip address 2

match ip route-source 1

set metric 300000

Regards.

Alain.