- ASA5516-FTD-K9   (ASA FW)

- C1-AIR-CT3504-K9   (WLC) 

amr alrazzaz
4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You want you change passwords on this devices. Do you have access with an existing user or is it a password recovery you want to do?

For switch and asa, if you already have access to the device, you can do a sho run | i username to get the existing user line config.
Then go in conf t mode, paste the line you took previously but be careful after the keyword password, put 0 xxxxx (xxx is your password).
Example: username cisco privilege 15 secret 0 cisco
I put privilege 15 because i assume it's a full admin access user.

Four wlc, on the UI, go to management menu and then on the left menu select local management user. List of users will show up. Click on the blue arrow and modify.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

yes i have access to all devices already and need to just change password with strong one thats why , so

shall i put 0 for the changing [password  because im using the below :

username ciscoadmin privilege 15 secret 4 vwcGVdcUZcRMCyxaH2U9Y/PTujsnQWPSbt.LHJK8lhTw

so if i use 4 instead 0 is it okay ? while changing ?

also should i remove the old one ? 

amr alrazzaz

Unless you already have the encrypted value of your new strong password you should not include the 4 in your command. Assuming that you will be entering the new stronger password in clear text you should use 0 in the command

HTH

Rick

As @richard already mentioned, you can use 4 if you are putting the encrypted password otherwise you need to use 0 with the clear text password and the IOS will encrypt it for you.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: