cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes to Intrface bandwidth and policymap shape average disruptive?

Hi,

Trying to Google answers to these 2 questions with no luck. 

Are Interface bandwidth and policy map shape average settings disruptive?

Thank you, Pat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Changing the interface bandwidth statement, alone, shouldn't be disruptive except other (optional) features that use it might be disruptive by it being changed.

Hmm, the policy shape average statement, might be disruptive when you change it as congestion levels, due to the shaper, will likely change too.  Going "slower" is likely to create more shaper queuing possibly increasing shaper queuing drops.  Going "faster' may cause a TCP flow, in slow start, to create much larger transmission windows, that when they exceed shaper queue sizes, may create a huge drop incident, with the TCP issues that can cause.  (The latter, I believe, you're less likely to encounter than the former.)

My experience has been, if there is any disruption, it's often just a "blip", often unnoticed.  But if you want to "guarantee" no (negative) surprises during normal operations, best to make any config changes during scheduled maintenance.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Changing the interface bandwidth statement, alone, shouldn't be disruptive except other (optional) features that use it might be disruptive by it being changed.

Hmm, the policy shape average statement, might be disruptive when you change it as congestion levels, due to the shaper, will likely change too.  Going "slower" is likely to create more shaper queuing possibly increasing shaper queuing drops.  Going "faster' may cause a TCP flow, in slow start, to create much larger transmission windows, that when they exceed shaper queue sizes, may create a huge drop incident, with the TCP issues that can cause.  (The latter, I believe, you're less likely to encounter than the former.)

My experience has been, if there is any disruption, it's often just a "blip", often unnoticed.  But if you want to "guarantee" no (negative) surprises during normal operations, best to make any config changes during scheduled maintenance.

Thanks for the insight, Joseph - you are the best!!!

Pat

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card