Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing my VPN from L2TP/IPSEC PSK to IKEV2/IPSEC PSK

v.snijder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

I have an 897 model router, used as a simple home/hobby router.
Nothing fancy. Nothing High Security.

It is currently succesfully running L2TP/IPSEC PSK VPN (Client-to-Site), so I can remotely connect to my home network (and use its internet connection as well), from my Android phone/ Laptop, Tablet, etc.

Starting Android version 12, support for L2TP has been dropped (not selectable anymore).
So I can no longer use my VPN connection from my newer devices.
Therefore I would like to change my VPN configuration to IKEv2 IPSEC PSK (which is widely supported).

I was wondering if someone could perhaps point me to a good configuration guide?
As most examples I can find concern Site-to-Site VPN's , Using Certificates, or require additional software (AnyConnect)..

I would like to keep it as simple as possible, (hence using Pre Shared Key), and it should work with native/stock Android/Windows builtin VPN client.

3 Replies 3

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/flexvpn/220471-configure-flexvpn-ikev2-for-windows-buil.html

MHM

Thank you for your reply!

But this example would also require a certificate?

Basically I would like anyone to connect to the VP(D)N , with just IP address, Pre Shared Key , and (I think not needed with IKEV2?) username/password. Out of the box on any device.

v.snijder
Level 1
Level 1

Still desperately looking for any info on how to create : 

IKEv2/IPSec - Client to Site VPN -  With pre shared key (PSK)
( no certificates / no client software needed - just native built-in VPN client Windows/Android/Apple )

If anyone could point out a working config.
I have been investigating and researching for 2 months , but found NOTHING.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card