cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Check bandwidth of back up circuit

hshelke
Level 1
Level 1

I have a back up internet circuit from local ISP which is not in use right now and have increased its bandwidth to 60Mb. ISP has confirmed that the bandwidth is increased from their end but how do i check it at my organisation end. Circuit is connected to ASA

3 Replies 3

Hi

I recommend third party software, I have used WAN Killer from Solarwinds tools, measuring the bandwidth until reach the maximum and testing with ping the lost packets. Now if it is Internet, try with based web tools (speed tests) but in some cases it is no accurate at 100%.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As Julio has already noted, often just use some form of traffic generator. Push either side at 60 Mbps, or plus, and "see" if the other side receives 60 Mbps.

BTW, note how you traffic generator counts bps. 60 Mbps of bandwidth also supports L2 and L3 overhead, so you'll likely not see 60 Mbps of throughput if you're "clocking" some data transfer rate.

using iperf at either side would help validate the bandwidth,  you could also transfer a file from one site to other and vice versa,   you can then calculate how much bandwidth against the time it takes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card