Views
Helpful
Replies

choose a dhcp server

HowestTom
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I have a network with inter vlan multilayer switch.

I configured dhcp on both M Switches.

The problem is that my clients use the MS2 for dhcp and not the MS1, when i shutdown the ports of MS2 , they will use MS1 as redundant Dhcp server, but i want the MS2 as redundant multilayer switch. they need to use the MS1 as first dhcp multilayer switch. Is there a command for choosing a dhcp (server) at first ?

edit : sorry for the bad english

4 Replies 4

I not recommend to config any of MLS as DHCP,
instead of you can config other Router or MLS as DHCP "connect to both MLS1 and MLS2"
and config the ip helper hsrp aware feature. 

Hello
If both switches are running dhcp service which sounds like they are, Then suggest to split the dhcp scope between the two servers, having half of the scope active on each server, thus you have resiliency incase if either server went down and client will be serviced by both servers at the same time, I used to do this when i was A/D admin a long time ago and it worked fine.

Edited
Now I believe there is even a more elegant feature called dhcp failover, which i haven't used but it looks a good option but this resides on windows based dhcp servers.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

I would agree that your only option is to split the DHCP scope. The only DHCP failover solution I am aware of is with Cisco Network Registrar, which you most likely don't have...

Hello @Georg Pauwen 

I should have made myself  clearer -The dhcp failover feature i was referring to resides on windows based servers.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card