cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1000 series ISR Router DNA License

WeiKwongOng5555
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, is it a must to add DNA license for Cisco 1000 series ISR Router? Is it possible to deploy Cisco 1000 series ISR Router without DNA license like ISR4K series router?

Thank you!

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everyone pays the Cisco DNAC "tax", whether one uses DNAC or not.  

Hi @Leo Laohoo, understand that DNA license is mandatory for Catalyst 9000 series and 8000 series. Do you mean that DNA license is mandatory for ISR 1000 as well? 

If the ISR 1000 installed the image with Payload Encryption, is DNA license still required if the router is not deployed for SD WAN?

@WeiKwongOng5555 wrote:

Do you mean that DNA license is mandatory for ISR 1000 as well? 

ALL Cisco-branded products have DNAC "tax".
Anyone-n-everyone who buys Cisco-branded products will pay DNAC "tax". 

NOTE
If you are not using DNAC, do not renew the license when it expires.  Nothing is going to happen when DNAC license expires.

Hi @Leo Laohoo, I believe Catalyst 1000 switch does not require DNA license, right?

I have deployed 3 1100-4P. One for my home lab, they don't have a DNA license. All they have is the smartnet contract 

@EdgarMurray8920 wrote:

they don't have a DNA license

No one can buy Cisco-branded equipment without paying for DNA license.  
The platform may not "need" DNA License but it is mandatory in the BoM.  

I have bought 2 of them in 2020 from a Gold Partner, they did not require DNA. Also, you can check in ISR 1100 4P and there is no mention of a DNA license. 

I have opened partner helpline case, the support mentioned that ISR 1000 is positioned for SD WAN, so, the DNA license must be included with ISR 1000. I just want to confirm whether this is true.

Like I said before. I bought 2 of them in 2020, the partner did not require the DNA license. The only I added was the smartnet contract. But things may have changed.

I've also opened GVE case and what said support engineer is that not all the models in ISR 1000 series require DNA subscription license. 

ISR1100 and ISR1100X Series Routers specific SKUs for SD-WAN only and these requires DNA subscription license. The following datasheet for these models:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-742893.html

But there are still another models for which DNA license is not mandatory for non SD-WAN deployment:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-739512.html

To anyone planning to purchase the non-X 1100 model, make sure to buy hardware maintenance (RMA) on them. 

Hello Leo,

Earlier you mentioned that every Cisco-branded router should be purchased with DNA license. That information doesn't match infromation from GVE. Could you please share with source of your information?

@Oleg Tsoy wrote:
Earlier you mentioned that every Cisco-branded router should be purchased with DNA license. That information doesn't match infromation from GVE. Could you please share with source of your information?

Back in 2022, this was the explanation given to us by our Accounts Team. 

Over the years, anything to do with Licensing &/or Smart Licensing changes.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card