cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 Dynamic IP

jkay18041
Level 3
Level 3

I have a cisco 1841 router I brought home for the weekend to play with from work. I set it up at work just fine with a static ip from my isp. However at home I don't have a static ip. I got it all configured and set interface fastethernet 0/0 as my wan and set the ip address to dhcp. I have nat turned on as well. I set up fastethernet 0/1 as my lan. I also setup a ACL to permit any and overload on fastethernet 0/0. from the router I can ping www.google.com and 8.8.8.8 and get responses. On my computer however I cannot get responses. I can however ping the router. What am I missing?

Current configuration : 911 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
no logging console
!
no aaa new-model
dot11 syslog
ip cef
!
!
!
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
!
!
archive
 log config
  hidekeys
!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address dhcp
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 ip address 10.10.1.253 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0/0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
ip forward-protocol nd
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip nat source list 1 interface FastEthernet0/0 overload
!
access-list 1 permit any
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

Thank you

5 Replies 5

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

What is the IP settings of your desktop/laptop? It should point to the router as default-gateway then you could point the DNS to your ISP DNS server.

i tried setting my desktop with a static and no luck with the dns server set to the router. I also tried 8.8.8.8 as the dns server with no luck.

hi,

try this:

no access-list 1 permit any

access-list 1 permit 10.10.1.0 0.0.0.255

I tried to configure this over a lab and I was able to get positive results with ACL 1 set to any but you may still want to try johnlloyd_13's suggestion.

However, what I tried to do in my lab is to set the customer facing interface of the ISP to no ip proxy-arp since your default route is just pointing out to exit interface. When I turned on proxy-arp on the ISP router then I was able to ping anything on the ISP side. Apparently, you have mentioned that ICMP from the router works fine so we could eliminate proxy-arp issue at the ISP side.

What I can suggest is to turn on NAT and ARP debug to see if you are translating your internal network properly.

I figured out my issue, on the ip nat source list 1 interface fastethernet 0/0 I didn't type in inside. I also fixed my ACL to be more specific.

Thanks for the help!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card