Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600 router multicast

desroches
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I need to perform the following task scenario:

I have a Cisco 2600 series with 2 X FastEthernet ports and I would like to configure the cisco to perform the task if it is possible..

The scenario is:

2 networks:

F0/0: 192.168.x.x

F0/1: 10.1.x.x

No communication between them except one way multicast from F0/1 to F0/0.

Any Step-by-Step documentation will be appreciated

Regards,

Michel

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Michel,

The problem with your scenario, unless I'm wrong, is that the networks will need to be able to communicate between each other on their networks. Multicasting will perform RPF checks on the real address of the sender. The hosts that join your group will be joining a multicast group, but the router knows who the sender is.

Example, if you have a host on 10.1.5.50 sending to group 225.5.5.5, the router will see that traffic as (10.1.5.50, 255.5.5.5). Let's say a host joins on fa0/0 (I'm assuming there are hosts on this subnet) to the group 225.5.5.5. The router will pass the traffic from 10.1.5.50 to the host that joined on fa0/0. The host doesn't know the real source address, but the router will need to know how to get to the source, otherwise the traffic will never pass the RPF check.

Apologies if I'm completely misinterpreting what you're asking...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card