Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2612 routing / bridge between token ring and ethernet

Gypsy Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I've got a Cisco 2612 router and trying to route traffic between my Ethernet network (192.168.1.0/24)  and TokenRing network (192.168.2.0/24). I'm trying to create a bridge between both networks. 

The router has the interface Ethernet0/0 configured as 192.168.1.101 and the TokenRing0/0 interface configured with 192.168.2.1.

On the actual router I can ping both interfaces do I need to setup a static route? If so how?

Thanks,

25 Replies 25

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Gypsy Dave ,

You do not need a static route, as the router is directly connected to both interfaces. Just make sure that devices on these two subnets are configured with a default gateway corresponding to the router respective interface IP address and you should be able to ping from the ethernet to the token-ring devices and vice versa.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold Ritter Do I need to config a gateway per interface? I can ping the device on the token ring interface from the router and it gets assigned an ip from the IP helper I've created but I can't telnet to it or trace route it. I get a  "Destination unreachable; gateway or host down" seems like it cant find the path to that device.  Also my firewall can ping the token ring interface but not the device on the token ring side. Something is not correct.

Regards,

Hello,

--> On the actual router I can ping both interfaces do I need to setup a static route? If so how?

Not really sure what you are after. You can assign an IP address to the Token Ring interface, and both interfaces should be able to talk to each others. Do you have an actual TokenRing network attached ?

ok great thanks for the reply. I just need to work out how to create a route on one of the older machine so I can reach the token ring network via its ethernet card. 

@Georg Pauwen yep I've got a real token ring network connected to it. I've old MSDOS devices on the Token ring side and modern MacOs and Windows on the ethernet side. 

Gypsy Dave
Level 1
Level 1

So the current problem is clients on the Ethernet network can only ping the Cisco 2600 router's ethernet and token ring interface. I can't ping the clients on the Token ring network. 

Computers on the token ring network can ping the Cisco 2600 token ring interface but not the ethernet interface and clients on the ethernet network.

I've seen this other posting that seems like a simular problem and talks about source-bridge but my 2600 does not have that command?

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/routing-between-token-ring-and-ethernet/td-p/1068716

Here is my config. It looks like its a source route bridging command configuration I'm missing?

Current configuration:

!

version 12.0

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname BRI-TOKEN

!

enable secret 5 *********

enable password **********

!

!

!

!

!

no ip subnet-zero

no ip routing

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.10

!

ip dhcp pool TOKENPOOL

network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.2.1 

dns-server 192.168.2.1 

netbios-name-server 192.168.2.1 

!

bridge crb

!

!

process-max-time 200

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.101 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

bridge-group 1

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

shutdown

no fair-queue

!

interface TokenRing0/0

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 192.168.2.1

ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

ring-speed 16

bridge-group 1

!         

interface Serial0/1

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

shutdown

!

ip classless

no ip http server

!

snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000B064263AA0

snmp-server community public RO

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 bitswap-layer3-addresses

bridge 1 route ip

!

line con 0

transport input none

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

password ******

login

!

no scheduler allocate

end

Thanks for posting the configuration. There are several things that we might want to talk about. But the most important issue in the config is this

no ip routing

Since you have one subnet on the Ethernet and a different subnet on the Token Ring you want to route between the subnets. But "no ip routing" disables routing. Remove that line and let us know if the behavior changes.

The issue here is that your configuration has some elements of a solution based on routing and some elements of a solution based on bridging. You should try to accomplish one or the other, but not both.

The solution based on routing is more simple and more robust. A solution based on bridging is more complex. Think about what you really want  and if it is the solution based on bridging we can make some suggestions about how to accomplish that.

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding. I've removed that line by using the command "ip routing" and still have the same problems. From what I read I need to setup Source Route Bridging but I think my iOS version does not support it as I don't have the commands. Can this be done then via ip routing? What am I' missing?  

Regards,

Hello,

I think you need an IOS that supports DEC in order to be able to configure SRB.

I wonder if just IRB can accomplish what you want (all Ethernet and Token Ring PCs would be in the same subnet, but at least you would have connectivity):

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service password-encryption
!
hostname BRI-TOKEN
!
enable secret 5 *********
enable password **********
!
no ip subnet-zero
!
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.10
!
ip dhcp pool TOKENPOOL
network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.2.1
dns-server 192.168.2.1
netbios-name-server 192.168.2.1
!
--> bridge irb
!
process-max-time 200
!
interface Ethernet0/0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
--> bridge-group 1
!
interface Serial0/0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
shutdown
no fair-queue
!
interface TokenRing0/0
no ip address
ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
ring-speed 16
--> bridge-group 1
!
interface Serial0/1
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
shutdown
!
--> interface BVI1
--> ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip classless
no ip http server
!
--> bridge 1 protocol ieee
--> bridge 1 route ip
!
line con 0
transport input none
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password ******
login
!
no scheduler allocate
end

Thanks for that. I'm a little confused. How will this route between the ethernet 192.168.1.0/24 and token ring 192.168.2-0/24 subnets? 

Edit: Just read above again. I could try to move all the devices to one subnet to test. If I have a DHCP server on the ethernet side will the token ring network be able to get an ip address from it? 

Hello,

in the suggested config, the DHCP server (pool) would serve both the Ethernet and the Token Ring clients...

ok I've changed everything over to the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 And the devices on the token ring network with static ip address can now ping some device on the ethernet network but not everything like the internet router/firewall located at 192.168.1.1 (ping is enabled on it)?

The devices on the token ring network that are configured as dynamic IP can't reach the DHCP server which is on the router/firewall at 192.168.1.1. I've removed the IP helper commands (see bellow) so that the devices use the main DHCP server on the ethernet side. 

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
service password-encryption
!
hostname BRI-TOKEN
!
enable secret 5 *******
enable password 7 *****
!
!
!
!
!
ip subnet-zero
!
bridge irb
!
!
process-max-time 200
!         
interface Ethernet0/0
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip route-cache
 no ip mroute-cache
 bridge-group 1
!
interface Serial0/0
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip mroute-cache
 shutdown
 no fair-queue
!
interface TokenRing0/0
 no ip address
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip route-cache
 no ip mroute-cache
 ring-speed 16
 bridge-group 1
!         
interface Serial0/1
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip mroute-cache
 shutdown
!
interface BVI1
 no ip directed-broadcast
!
ip classless
ip http server
!
bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 bitswap-layer3-addresses
 bridge 1 route ip
!
line con 0
 transport input none
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 password 7 ******
 login
!
end

Hello,

I think the 'bridge 1 bitswap-layer3-addresses' line is only needed for Source Route Translational Bridging. Not sure what if any effect this has in IRB, but remove that line anyway...

Yeah I did remove that and the same issues. Token ring devices can't reach 192.168.1.1 (DHCP or ping) and they can't reach ping to some ethernet devices. 

Do I need to declare the router/firewall (192.168.1.1) as a gateway somewhere in the config? 

Hello,

your current configuration is different from the one I suggested/posted earlier. 

Either way, if this is still in your configuration:

interface BVI1

Then this (192.168.1.101) must be the default gateway for all Ethernet and Token Ring clients...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card