cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 Migrate T1 to Cable Internet Access

RTS2000RTS
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to help someone migrate from CenturyLink T1/DSL to Comcast Cable. Attached is a picture of the front of the Cisco 2811 (also attached is a picture of the Cisco 2960 referenced below).

I assume the HWIC 3G is for fallback in case the main internet goes down.

The HWIC T1 runs to a H2TU-R-402 which I assume is the CenturyLink DSL connection.

To switch to Comcast cable, I had hoped I could just unplug the T1 connection and plug the Ethernet cable from the Comcast business router to the HWIC 4ESW. But looking into the Cisco 2811 I see that the configuration is going to be a lot more complicated than that. When I plug in the Ethernet cable to the 4ESW, the LED's don't light up, which makes me thing that HWIC isn't even enabled.

What do I need to do to configure this?

The FE 0/0 runs to the first Ethernet port on the Netvanta 1524ST.

The FE 0/1 runs to a Cisco Catalyst 2960 POE.

Both highspeed ports on the Cisco 2960 run to the Netvanta 1524ST which makes me think they are configured as a link aggregation/Etherchannel.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Robert

4 Replies 4

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you you check your IOS version with "show version"
You need to be running at least 12.3(8)T or above to support the
HWIC-4ESW

You can also look at "show diag" to see if the HWIC-4ESW has
been recognised by the router.

Please note that the 2811 does not support OIR, ie hot card
insertion. The router needs to be powered off to install cards.

Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thank you, Alex, for responding.

The HWIC-4ESW was already installed. Probably been plugged in for years with nothing plugged into it. I don't know if its configured or not.

When you say "show diag", is this through a physical terminal device? I don't have one. I've been going through documents for the 2811, SDM, CLI etc and I'm so confused. Why is it so hard to connect and configure these devices? What's the most sure-fire way that I'll be able to connect (not yet knowing what the IOS version is or if SDM is installed)? Once I figure out how to connect, I don't know if it'll require a password (which no one will know of course).

I understand that SDM is preferred (if installed on the CompactFlash card) or CLI for initial configuration. But since the 2811 is already configured, can't I just plug in my laptop to a port and type in the IP address and access some GUI?

Thank you.

The Cisco 2800 series and SDM user guides are too advanced and don't explain how to connect. I found the "Quick Start Guide" here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/cisco_router_and_security_device_manager/software/quick/guide/SDMq7.pdf

That seems to be what I'm looking for to connect via SDM. Connect crossover cable to FE 0/0 and configure network adapter between 10.10.10.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.248 in the same subnet range/mask as currently configured (or set automatic IF the router has DHCP set up); then browse to router ip with username/password as cisco/cisco (cisco password expires after first use so it probably won't work). So how would I reset the password?

It looks like I can also telnet to 10.10.10.1 if the SDM doesn't come up.

Alternately, install the desktop version of SDM on my laptop and try to connect. (It doesn't say if it requires a password).

If all else fails, find a rj45 to serial and a serial to usb cable (since I don't have a serial port on my laptop) and try that way?

Or is it the Cisco Configuration Professional I need to use for the 2811? I have a four hour window  Friday morning to get this completed so I need to be as ready as I can.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card