cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 router alarm light

Tim Wirtz
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2851 router that we use for VOIP.  We have 2 PRI's coming into the router.  On the HWIC card, for controller one we have a yellow alarm light with a green light below it.  On controller 2, we have the green light.  We have been having intermittent issues with our phone lines and I believe this is caused by the alarm on the first controller.  We had a power outage about a month ago and this has been there since.  If we power cycle the router could this possibly clear up that alarm?  If not, what other troubleshooting steps should I take or should we just go ahead and have Cisco support come out?

2 Replies 2

Hello Tim,

a yellow alarm usually means a problem at the remote end, or a hardware problem. Do you have a loopback plug available ? If so, insert it into the port and check if you can detect any errors when you issue the 'show controller t1' exec command. If you don't see any errors, check the settings at the remote end, and if they match yours.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wan/t1-e1-t3-e3/14170-T1-alarms.html#topic4

I contacted our carrier and they did not see any issues on their side.  Since we had the power outage, the router came back up by itself but we have not restarted it all since then.  I will restart the router first and if that fails to solve the problem I will contact Cisco support on our contract.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card