cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2951Router

JB8080
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 G does a 2951 router work with that and do I need a operating system or does it come with an operating system? I am very new at this.

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @JB8080,

The Cisco Catalyst 3750G is a switch, while the Cisco 2951 is a router. These are two different types of network devices with distinct functions.

The Cisco Catalyst 3750G is a Layer 2 or Layer 3 switch that provides advanced networking capabilities for local area networks (LANs). It offers features like VLANs, routing, security, and high-performance switching.

On the other hand, the Cisco 2951 is a router that is designed for wide area network (WAN) connectivity. It provides routing, security, and various WAN connectivity options such as T1/E1, DSL, and Ethernet interfaces. Routers are typically used to connect networks together and handle traffic between different networks.

Regarding the operating system, Cisco devices run on Cisco IOS software. The specific IOS version required and supported by each device can vary. The Catalyst 3750G switch and Cisco 2951 router both come with an operating system pre-installed.

It's important to note that the Catalyst 3750G switch and Cisco 2951 router are separate devices with different purposes. The switch is primarily used for LAN networking, while the router is used for WAN connectivity and interconnecting networks.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

JB8080
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You. This helps. Simply did not want have to buy a license. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, they can work together.

Since the 3750G is a L3 switch, it and the 2951 overlap in some of their capabilities, but even where they do overlap, each often does some things "better" than the other.  I.e. the combination is often very beneficial.

Each needs an OS (IOS in Cisco terminology), and each IOS requires a license, which comes in various "favors", depending on what features are licensed.  Generally, newly purchased switches and routers are ordered with a software license, and "current" version is often pre-installed (to match license).  BTW, license (legally) is NOT transferable, I believe.

Older Cisco platforms, generally used a "honor" system for licensing, i.e. the platform did not enforce licensing.  That might be true for both your switch and router.  The 3750G is, I believe, well beyond end-of-support, i.e. you cannot obtain a license from Cisco for it.  Possibly some merchant will have an unsold license sitting on a shelf, which I believe you can purchase and then legally use the software.  I'm unsure whether your 2951 is also end-of-support, it might be.

Without a license, your hardware (legally) is good for things like being a "boat anchor" or perhaps being a noisy space heater, etc.

That said, there's often rumors of those who use old platforms for personal educational use, and that older IOS files might be found searching the Internet to use on such no longer supported platforms.

Actually just found out it is the 2921. My main use taking the 3750G switch and use that with the 2921 Router for lab. My hope was that the IOS was included in the router "as is" . This is only for my CCNA and Network training purposes and Decided to hook up my office computers only not the rest of the house for a kinda "real" world training. It will not be per se in a production. Appreciate the response. My hope the router will come with a basic IOS, so I can set it up and get use to the commands. Plus also when I move to learning Security also... 

BTW, the differences with a "family" or series of devices, i.e. 2921 vs. 2951, often is just in overall capacity, both processing performance and/or hardware module slots.

Usually a "used" Cisco device will have a bootable IOS on it, but what particular version or features it supports is a "lottery".  For example, you mention wanting to learn Security, on the 29xx ISRs, believe one of their feature sets is specific to security.  I.e. if you have a Base feature set, not all the available "advanced" security options would be available.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card