cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 cant ping all devices on remote subnet

Richard Tapp
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 x 2960 switches in a remote site. These are managed by an NMS in our DC, the NMS IP ends in 35.100 with a /23 mask.

When they are first booted, the switches are visable to the NMS, but after a week or 2, 3 of them drop connection to it. If you reboot

them again they are fine. You are able to log onto them form thier local router and use a Radius server which is in the same subnet

as the NMS.

The odd thing is, whilst they can not ping the NMS, they are able to ping any other addresses in the 34.0/23 range.

The config on the one that does not lose connection is the same as the other 3 and I have also rebooted the NMS.

Any ideas welcome, it would stop we having to rebooted them regually.

3 Replies 3

Richard Tapp
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot to add, I did upgrade the IOS on one of the switches that loses connectivity and it did not make any difference.

OK, I have got to the bottom of it. The switches were getting an IP redirect, just for the NMS server and sending it to the site firewall and not the router.

Richard

I am glad that you got to the bottom of it and found the problem. Thank you for posting back to the forum and telling us what you found. This is a fairly unusual symptom and it is interesting that it happened in your case.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card