cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3845 & Ethernet Hand-off from ISP

bryan.lofland
Level 1
Level 1

I am switching to a single Ethernet hand-off from my ISP which currently gives me 4 T1 lines.  I have a Cisco 3845 router that services the current T1s.  My question is since my ISP is giving me just a single Ethernet hand-off going forward can I connect it directly to the internal NICs on the 3845 or do I have buy some other HWIC?  I will be running a 100Mbps connection over the hand-off and the NICs are Gigabit NICs.  I will not be doing anything fancy over this, just simply a couple of routes in the routing table.  No VPN, no firewalling, etc.  The specs state that the 3845 is only for up to a T3 speeds but I am not sure if that is for the HWIC interfaces or for the whole thing in general?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can plug the ethernet hand-off directly to the chassis gigabit interface and no additional hardware is required. The 3845 chassis can handle 256Mbps.

UPDATE: Sorry I was reading the wrong line (if you saw my post before I edited it).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can plug the ethernet hand-off directly to the chassis gigabit interface and no additional hardware is required. The 3845 chassis can handle 256Mbps.

UPDATE: Sorry I was reading the wrong line (if you saw my post before I edited it).

Collin,

Thanks for the quick answer.  I figured so as it didn't make much sense that Cisco would not be able to purely route packets at 100Mbps on really almost any modern equipment.

Thanks,

Bryan

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just a point of clarification, the 256 Mbps Collin noted would need to be halved if dealing with duplex traffic, i.e. a 3845 doesn't have a large reserve for 100 Mbps duplex.  However, that's also for minimum sized packets and there's less overhead routing Ethernet to Ethernet, so you'll probably be fine but be careful about making assumptions about the performance of "modern" Cisco equipment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card