Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 issue

JGFR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have a Cisco Catalyst 6500 that works for core network switching with two SUP7203B cards. One active, one standby.

Since 12 hours we have a concern about this hardware that loses SNMP access and telnet for management.

We have switched preventively on the backup supervision card but this does not correct our problem.

The logs indicate nothing besides that the equipment can not reach the Radius servers the few times we have access to telnet.

Console access directly works all the time.

Without logs it is difficult to determine the exact cause of this problem, would you have any idea of the problem that may appear here?

Thank you, Jordan

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

did you check the cpu while it was occurring or debug the telnet try to connect to see what was happening when it was like this on console  ?

The fact its occurring on 2nd sup may indicate a bug that's being triggered

See if any processes are jammed ....show proc cpu sorted

why cant it reach the radius server is it down , where does the trace stop does it even break out of the 6500 ?

Hi Mark,

Currently my 6500 CPU is not overload but i have curious error on my supervision (Observium)  : module 6 insufficient cooling Sensor from 14 hours too.

Module 6 is former Active card (now standby card).

I send attached graph (Paris Hour)

run a diagnostic on a the card itself igf you think it has an issue but run the show diag first

it doesn't explain your issue though that should not cause telnet to stop as that's a vty port , your not coming in through the module itself

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/diags.html#wp1041595

show diagnostic mode module 6

diagnostic start module 6 test 5

so why cant it reach the radius server ? can other devices reach it when the 6500 is like this , have you trace to see if its breaking out not just a ping

what software version are you on ?

Hello Mark,

Thank your for help.

We have detected issue on management gateway... Problem is now fixed.

ah very good least it sorted and was not the 6500

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card