cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 837 Router Big Problem

Frederico24
Level 1
Level 1

hello all! I have one CISCO 837 Router, I try configure it trough http, trough is IP - 10.10.10.1 and i can not establish a connection.. When i try to PING it i can not receive data..

I didnt change its IP address

I would like to know what is the problem.. The Router had work fine over 2 months

Please help me

10 Replies 10

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

Have you rebooted it recently? If your machine is windows, do IPCONFIG and see if you show an address on the same network, if the router is doing DHCP, try release and renew of the IP. If you show the same network IP, then try arp -a to see if you get any arp returns. Check the physical connections to the router as well. You are trying to connect to it via interface E0 which is a virtual interface that is bound to the 4 FastEthernet interfaces by default, so if you have no physical connection to any of those 4 ports you will not be able to reach the E0 interface.

If you havent rebooted the router in a while, try that first. Sometimes all it takes is a CNTRL-ALT-DELETE :)

Thank you for reply-me.

Yes I have done Several Reboots, trough ON/OFF button of the router and also trough terminal console

with the command "reload".

When I try to do IPCONFIG /release and /RENEW, simply it doesnt work because my DHCP server is in the ROUTER and i can't establish a connection. The windows network connection says me that is limited or inexistent.

I wonder if doing a reset to the router factory defaults solve my problem.. but i dont now how to do it.

If you have the console cable for that router, you should be able to use the serial port on your PC and Hyperterm to connect to the router. You will need to use the CLI iin order to figure out what is wrong. Find the cable and get it connected and see if you can access it and we can go from there. The cable if you dont know is usually blue with an RJ45 end like the ethernet cables and the other end is a 9 pin serial adapter.

Yes I have that cable. CLI..sorry i dont now what is.

I have coonected the router trough windows hyperterminal.. but i dont now what to do right now

ok, you can configure it from here.

type enable and enter your password, then do a show config to see the saved configuration, and show run to see the current configuration. You can paste the running config here. do a show interface e0 to see if it has an IP , if it is up or down, and do a show interface to see all the interfaces and their status. you can also do a show log to see if there are any errors.

Thanx my friend. Here in Portugal right now its 22:16 pm. Tomorrow mourning I will do that and paste the config here. and u ill see it.

hello.

when i do the command "show config":

Router#enable

Router#show config

startup-config is not present

Router#

When i do "show run":

Router#show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 607 bytes

!

version 12.2

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Router

!

logging queue-limit 100

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

ip audit notify log

ip audit po max-events 100

no ftp-server write-enable

interface Ethernet0

no ip address

shutdown

hold-queue 100 out

!

interface ATM0

no ip address

shutdown

no atm ilmi-keepalive

dsl operating-mode auto

!

ip classless

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

!

line con 0

no modem enable

stopbits 1

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

!

scheduler max-task-time 5000

end

It seens that ethernet0 is down..What can i do??

In short you've lost config, at a guess the original config wasn't written to memory & hence lost when router power cycled.

If you've details of what was previously configured you can enter config mode (conf t) & then cut & paste if not then it's a case of starting from scratch.

From what you posted it seems like someone wiped your config. Knowing that out of the box the 827 have a default configuration with DHCP and addressing already configured, this output sure is not default.

Do this

Config t

interface Ethernet0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

hold-queue 100 out

username (make up one) password (makeup one)

line vty 0 4

login

password (make up one)

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1

ip dhcp pool Client

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.10.1

end

This will at least get you to where you can access the router via the web interface and begin to reprogram the router for your ISP. You need to harden your router to prevent this from happening. As a matter of precaution I always password protect all interfaces like VTY, CON, and AUX. Without the password even if they console in they cant get into it unless of course they know how to bypass the ROMMON.

Thax for your support, but beside the router is out of warranty, i've decided to send it to a Cisco Resseler, in hope that they can solve my problem. If they are not able, i will do my self your procedures.

Thanx

Fred

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card