Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR1004 upgrade IOS XE 3.13 to 16.3 AIS license question

AlexUglev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We planned to upgrade ASR1004 routers from IOS XE 3.13 Advanced IP Services image to recommended IOS XE 16.3 Universal image. As I see from the migration guide, we can add new 16.3 image as 1st boot up image and previous 3.13 image as 2nd image. Then we reload ASR1004 and it will boot with new image and AIS license for the based on the previous image. The question is will it be an evaluation license for 60 days or a permanent license?  Should we get and install additional license to enable AIS feature set on a permanent basis after software upgrade?

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Only required to rehost a license when changing platform or replacing , should not be required for an image upgrade as its bound to the chassis not the software and the serial number will stay the same thats associated with the license , so it should work ok after upgrade without any intervention or changes to the license

Hi,

I have the same problem:

Here we have several ASR1006 with RP2 running the old IOS XE (Cisco ASR 1000 Series RP2 ADVANCED IP SERVICES).

We want to upgrade to the current IOS XE (Cisco ASR 1000 Series RPX86 UNIVERSAL).

Will we lose the Technology Package and other licenses (e.g. IPSec)?

I also compared both releases in the Cisco Feature Navigator, but I can't do much with the result.

Does one know more and can explain?

Thanks!
Andre

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card