enzo80
Level 1
Level 1

What's the best way to do load balancing nowadays with HSRP

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/hot-standby-router-protocol-hsrp/13781-7.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@balaji.bandi Where is the load balancing configuration in that document ? I only see basic HSRP for redundancy...

Hope OP Looking "cisco best practice for load balancing HSRP"

~Not the configuration here..... that documen give user enough understanding..(my views) 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

the easiest would be to have both routers configured as active, by using two HSRP groups, and splitting the clients.

Have a look at the configuration example below:

https://flylib.com/books/en/2.286.1/load_balancing_with_hsrp.html

Hello
I personally would say the easiest solution in any first hop redundancy protocols for load balancing would be to use GLBP as that’s what it is designed to do.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As @paul driver already suggested, for "best" FHRP load balancing, you might consider using GLBP.

I haven't reviewed the links provided by the other posters, but usually, in older variants of HSRP you might alternate which router was primary for different network gateways.  The latter variants of HSRP are a bit more flexible in that you can have multiple primary (but different) primary HSRP addresses within the same network.

However, keep in mind, none of these variants dynamically load balance, so it's, for example, possible one extremely busy host will "congest" a FHRP gateway while the other is under utilized.  It's possible, though to manually manage this in some of the foregoing too, but that's also a bit of a management headache.

enzo80
Level 1
Level 1

thanks all for the help, I guess we will use GLBP instead since it easier to setup

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card