Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Dial Backup?

sean-watkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Bit of a shocker, but I learned recently the AS5350XM is toast; and the replacent MICA modems for a small ISR are done. Is there any other Cisco box that will do PRI & Analog Modems?

Need it for dial backup for several hundred sites -- seems totally insane, Cisco is getting out if this..

Sean

12 Replies 12

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Look under Unified Communications on CCO. You should be able to use a VG (voice gateway) for backup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps2250/index.html

Ashish Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Sean,

I am not sure if you are talking about data or voice. As per the info it seems like You need to know about the data.

you also go with  PVDM2-36DM and following PIR cards"-

NM-1CE1T1-PRI (1-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module)

• NM-2CE1T1-PRI (2-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module)

• HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI (1-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI HWIC)

• HWIC-2CE1T1-PRI (2-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI HWIC)

Maximum port denstity supported are by Cisco 3825, 3925, 3845, 3945 is 144 channels.

You can check the same under following doc:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2641/product_data_sheet0900aecd8050918e_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

In case if you are looking for new deployment , please get in touch with cisco presales team for the replacement parts as these is already EOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/htpvdm2.html

Hi

So these options above are great, but they are for Voice in VoIP Gateways.

I'm looking for Analog Modems. Ie Dial Backup for remote sites.

The AS5350XM are end of sale and end of support. On the AS5350XM page, the replacement was to use modem cards in a ISR.

Those modem cards,

PVDM2-36DM

However are EOL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2641/end_of_life_notice_c51-726696.html

They are EOL as well now. The replacement for those is...

Product Migration Options

There is no replacement available for the Cisco Digital Modem Modules at this time.

Talking to our local sales team, Cisco is completely exiting the Dial backup business... which is just crazy in my opinion.

True they are voice gateways, but they should work just like the AS5300's. There are a couple of options, but like Ashish stated, the port density is pretty limited. With DSL, dial backup has fallen off the radar as a backup circuit solution. Dial certainly still has it's place, but I guess Cisco doesn't see enough revenue in it to sustain the product line.

I've used VG allot before on VOIP deployments; I've never seem them configured as analog modems with PPP etc. Maybe that features is there now but I don't think so.

I don't need a huge density.. just say 1 or 2 PRIs along with PPP/OSPF

True dial backup has been replaced with DSL, but there is allot of areas in the world (Even here in North America) where DSL & even Cell access isn't available.. POTS is.

Sean

Ashish lists a network module with a 2 port PRI. You could also use a MFT card

The Cisco MFT VWIC2 cards also support a channelized capability where the T1 or E1 service can be flexibly split into two or more fractional channel groups. Thus a single physical port can provide connection to multiple sites. (Note: If this mode is chosen, only a single port can be supported in each WIC slot.)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

Hi Colin

Those MFT cards, do voice & data. No analog modems however ..

Sean

Yup you're right. I see analog- I think modem . Sorry. Did you take a look at Ashish's link? 144 channels via PRI's.

Yah, same issue. No analog modems

In the datasheet-

Single Solution for Modem and ISDN Callers

The Cisco 2800, 2900, 3800, and 3900 Series routers with Cisco Digital Modem PVDM Modules installed can accept incoming ISDN or voice calls and automatically switch them to the appropriate internal circuitry. The PRI switching is based on Q.931 messaging in the ISDN D channel. This out-of-band signaling channel provides a means for the telephone network to label each call according to its type. Specifically, when an incoming call is labeled "voice" by the telephone network, the Cisco router directs it to one of the router's modems. When a call is labeled "ISDN data," it is directed to one of the router's High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) controllers. This approach provides the benefit of one phone number for both modem and ISDN users. T1 CAS and E1 R2 interfaces (only available when using an NM-1CE1T1-PRI or an NM-2CE1T1-PRI module) also support this switching ability.

I understand this is as when a remote modem calls the PRI, the card will detect that it is a single channel and send it to an internal modem for termination. What do you think?

Yes that card will work. PVDM however, cards, which support Modems are EOL !

Well that sucks. I don't even know of another mfg that does it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card