cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Fibre Router Setup

adkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone. Hoping for a little guidance where possible.

My company recently paided for a leased line (fibre) to be installed as the standard broadband is a terrible 30mb up 10mb down. The vendor has sent a Cisco 1100 4P Router which we assumed would connect to an Unifi AP AC PRO and broadcast a staff and guest SSIDs to the site. Its only a small office with <10 staff and visitors at max so the fibre was purely to improve speeds.

Now the issue - They configure the device and turned off DHCP on the router so there is only 1 port active that needs a static IP. The AP AC PRO can be configured with the static IP but won't issue IPs from DHCP. They have disabled the ports and DHCP for "security purposes".... I have asked for more info about why they can't enable it.

Looks like I need to setup another Router with static info to connect to this Router but has anyone else had a Vendor do this? Also what Routers have you used for small businesses that would fit this scenario?

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

this is a quit common business internet setup
your provider does not manage your network,
your internet provider provides you with the actual internet link and an CPE (provider end point) with no other service configured 
You connect your own self-managed router to this CPE.
this is a little different to home-internet connection, where the provider supplies a router WITH some local LAN functions, like multiple ports AND DHCP service
So YES, you need to setup another router

the Unifi AP AC PRO is designed to connect to a network where this setup is already present ((self) managed router with DHCP service)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card