cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco newbie question

bleujaegel
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to learn how to setup a network using a Cisco router, firewall, and switch. I would like to know what anyone thinks about using a Cisco 827 ASDL router,a PIX 506e Firewall, and a Catalyst 2950 switch to get some hands on experience. I know the equipment is good quality, but was wondering if using the ASDL router (I don't have access to a T1 line) will give me sufficient knowledge of learning to setup a Cisco router with IOS. Also, if anyone has any ideas for cheaper versions of the PIX and Catalyst that will allow me to learn the same things I would from them without the cost.

Also, where is the correct placement for a firewall? From what I gather, a stand alone firewall should go on the LAN side of the router, and should filter traffic between the router and the LAN. Can a firewall have two NIC's, and essentially be a router between the Wan router and the LAN? Or does it just plug into the switch, and all traffic is forwarded to the Firewall from the Wan router, then forwarded to the clients? Thanks for any input.

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The equipment that you mention is well suited for your goal. If it is for testing only, you may try to get some used equipment that is regularly offered on the internet. (Ebay etc)

In small networks(<5 users), a pix501 will do the job also. It's configuration is practically equivalent to the 506E. For the switch, you could look for a model without gigabit ports (standard image version) when buying new, second-hand it all depends on what's on offer.

The PIX firewall has two ethernet interfaces, inside and outside. It is typically placed as you described; between the LAN (=inside) and the router (=outside).

Regards,

Leo

Very helpful. Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card