cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco router mac limit?

Nicholas Poole
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a MAC address limit for Cisco switches, and if so what is it and where can I find it?

There is normally a published MAC limit for Cisco Cat switches, typically of 8K.  This is listed in the respective data sheets.  I haven't found anything in the ISR G2 data sheets for example.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Switch MAC limits are usually "small" because they use often use TCAM, which is "small".

ISR G2 tend to store most things ordinary RAM, so MAC limits might (first) depend on free RAM (although there's often logical caps too).

Also an ISRs MACs limits would normally concern the ARP cache, they wouldn't have a MAC address table, like switches do (except when they are configured to bridge).

Your view matches mine, which is that as the (ISR) router is more software than hardware ASIC specific as a Cat switch would be its upper limits are probably not as well defined or recorded.

I just wonder if anyone has actually got any real world experience values to share?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card