cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Voice VLAN configuration question

jshuck
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who has purchased a new phone system.  This client currently has a flat network with one managed and one unmanaged switch.

We are installing two Cisco SG300-28PP switches to replace their current switch infrastructure.  The phone provider has requested that the phones be placed on VLAN10 and leave the native VLAN ID at 1.

I have configured the following so far:

Set ports 1-28 as access ports

Set Voice VLAN to 10 and auto triggered

The phones will be set to VLAN10 per phone vendor.   

Is there anything else that will need configured to make sure the phone VLAN10 has priority over VLAN1?    Do we need the phones on a seperate vlan if using "voice" vlan?

Also, does the uplink connection between the switches need to be configure as a trunk port?   I was told to set all the ports to access in this configuration. However access ports only carry one VLAN, so because of the "voice vlan" does the switch technically only see vlan 1 and not 10?

Because the switch has a "voice VLAN", does that tell the phone via LLDP what vlan to use?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1 Reply 1

Hi

I think you configuration should be:

interface range  g1/0/1-28
switchport host    <--- it will apply recommended settings for access ports.
switchport voice vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan <Your Data Vlan>

And if you are going to connect to manageable switch with other manageable switch, example config on both switches:

interface G1/1/1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
no shutdown

Otherwise

*Connecting a Manageable switchport to No manageable switch config:

interface G1/1/1
description MANAGEABLE_SWITCH
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access

* By default the vlan 1 is the native vlan, as suggested by the provider it should be used  (but you could recommend use other vlan for best practice) so:

Although for security purposes the vlan 1 should be shutdown. 

interface vlan 1
no shutdown

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card