Views
Helpful
Replies

Combine 2 or 3 DSL lines for load balancing

sugarriver
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,

We have a branch office with limited Internet connection options. The branch has an 871 router connected to a 10 down/1 up DSL line.

The router has two VPN tunnels, one through our Managed Security Provider out to the Internet and one through the MSP to our main office.

If we were to replace the 871 with a router that could handle two or even three DSL WAN links, what kind of throughput improvements (%)

could we expect to see? I am just looking for some educated guesses, but would be happy to provide any information that I can.

If I'm on the wrong track, I'd be happy to hear other suggestions as well.

Thanks for reading.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sugarriver,

>> The router has two VPN tunnels, one through our Managed Security Provider out to the Internet and one through the MSP to our main office.

If we were to replace the 871 with a router that could handle two or even three DSL WAN links, what kind of throughput improvements (%)

You need to consider that outbound traffic and inbound traffic are made of only two flows corresponding to the two VPN tunnels.

With two DSL lines you can use one link for one VPN tunnel and one link for the other VPN tunnel. Additional lines would provide no real benefit just providing more link redundancy

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sugarriver,

>> The router has two VPN tunnels, one through our Managed Security Provider out to the Internet and one through the MSP to our main office.

You need to consider that outbound traffic and inbound traffic are made of only two flows corresponding to the two VPN tunnels.

With two DSL lines you can use one link for one VPN tunnel and one link for the other VPN tunnel. Additional lines would provide no real benefit just providing more link redundancy

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I appreciate the help and clear explanation.
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card