cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure MLS, only MLS. VLANs.

Pelasgiii
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need help with configuring an MLS.

Its an assignment, but not one I'm supposed to turn in, its extra materials.

I have 2 PCs, VLAN 10 and 20, connecting to the same router. PC3 is connected to another router.

They run DHCP.

These two routers are connected to a MLS. THE MLS is also connected to a switch which connects to a DHCP server.

IT is also connected to a router which itself is also connected to PC4. My aim is to be able to ping pc 4 from pc 1,2 and 3.

I can only configure the MLS. I made the interface towards the 2 pcs as trunk and allowed vlan 10 and 20. I made the interface towards pc3 as trunk and allowed vlan 30.

I then took down the switchport towards router and PC4, and assigned an IP address to it.

What am I missing? Assigning ip address to vlans? The DHCP throws me off if thats the case, why just not use static?

1 Reply 1

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

I don't want to give you specifics as this is an assignment, so here are some questions you should be asking yourself:

What do you actually need the MLS to perform for this to function? What needs to be done on layer 2 and what should be happening on layer 3? Where does the layer 3 boundary/gateway address need to be placed? DHCP is bounded by it's broadcast domain(VLAN), what does the routers need to do to provide the clients with reachability for DHCP to the server?

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card