Replies

Configuring a serial port in IOS 15.1(3)T

manuel.dennis
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed a HWIC-2T in a Cis

co 3845 running IOS 15.1(3)

T  New build.

The IOS self installed the port configuration including the command line "clock rate 2000000."  I can edit everything but that entry using the CLI.  When I enter the "no clock rate"  it will not take in the running conf.  ???????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Manuel,

That behavior is normal for recent IOS versions. The clock rate command will be displayed either if there is no cable connected to the interface, or if the cable type is DCE in which case your router must provide the clocking function, hence the clock rate command. You can modify its value but you cannot remove it from the interface using the no form. The command will disappear automatically when you connect a DTE cable to the interface.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Manuel,

That behavior is normal for recent IOS versions. The clock rate command will be displayed either if there is no cable connected to the interface, or if the cable type is DCE in which case your router must provide the clocking function, hence the clock rate command. You can modify its value but you cannot remove it from the interface using the no form. The command will disappear automatically when you connect a DTE cable to the interface.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I thought that might be the case, but could find no documentation that said it was.  Hardware documentation is very much lacking and the link in what came with the module goes nowhere.  And searching the Cisco site for technical hardware information was a wasted effort.  All I could find was the command reference that told me the "no" command should remove the command. 

Thank you.

Manny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card