Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring multiple interfaces to a name IP ranges on Switch

Jin21261
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am a newbie who just entered in Cisco world.

I am currently playing with a cisco switch and faced a issue which I would like to solve.

I currently connected my ISP router (in bridge mode) to interface port 2

I am trying to setup my router for DHCP on interface port 1 and connect access point mesh network device on interface port 2

I have set both of them as a access mode but port 2 is not getting same subnet IP range as port 1

currently port 1 is getting 192.168.0.x and port 2 is getting 192.168.1.x

and cannot ping each other.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

you need to find out where the 192.168.1.x addresses are coming from. Make sure they are not accidentally coming from the Verizon...

View solution in original post

Hello

based on that topology and as you say the isp modem in bridging i would direct attached the dlink wan port to the isp modem and its lan port attach to the switch as a trunk or access port depending if it’s just a single ip address on its physical port or its with multiple ip addressing on sub- interfaces 

Then create dhcp scope(s) for your lan subnet(s) on the dlink and use nat for any multiple lan subnets the ios modem isn’t aware of so they can access the internet.

lastly on the switch create the vlan(s) that will relate to the L3 addresses you’ve create on the dlink and assign those vlan(s) to a switch access port that you want your end hosts to reside in  

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I find your explanation of the issue to be quite confusing. You tell us that the ISP router is connected on interface port 2. But then you tell us "connect access point mesh network device on interface port 2" How can different devices connect on port 2? You tell us about   "setup my router for DHCP on interface port 1". What kind of router is this?

It would help us to give you better advice if you would provide clarification about what kind of switch you are using, and clarification about the various parts of your network are connected. A simple diagram showing the topology would be a good place to start.

HTH

Rick

The main switch i am currently using is 3750

ISP router is set as a bridge mode which does not provide DHCP. it is currently connected to port 12 as trunk.

port 1 is connected to D-link DIR890L as a primary router with DHCP.

POrt 2 is a DECO MEsh wireless router which is currently running as acesspoint ( no DHCP)

Here is a diagram of my current network.

diagram.png

Hello,

--> access point mesh network device

What brand/model is that ? Chances are that the access point has its own internal DHCP server. 

Main switch I am currently using is 3750

ISP router is set as a bridge mode which does not provide DHCP. it is currently connected to port 12 as trunk.

port 1 is connected to D-link DIR890L as a primary router with DHCP.

POrt 2 is a DECO MEsh  X 60  wireless router which is currently running as acesspoint ( no DHCP)

Hello,

post the full running configuration (sh run) of the 3750 switch...

Its basic configuration

This is all I did on the switch.

port 1

switchport mode access

port 2

switchport mode access

port 2 

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Hello,

what is port 2, an access or a trunk port ? Make sure it is an access port.

port 2

switchport mode access --?

port 2

switchport mode trunk --> ?

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

port 12 is trunk port and port 2 is access I am sorry for the confusion

Hello

Can you post a basic topology diagram please.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

here is a diagram

diagram.png

Hello,

you need to find out where the 192.168.1.x addresses are coming from. Make sure they are not accidentally coming from the Verizon...

Hello

based on that topology and as you say the isp modem in bridging i would direct attached the dlink wan port to the isp modem and its lan port attach to the switch as a trunk or access port depending if it’s just a single ip address on its physical port or its with multiple ip addressing on sub- interfaces 

Then create dhcp scope(s) for your lan subnet(s) on the dlink and use nat for any multiple lan subnets the ios modem isn’t aware of so they can access the internet.

lastly on the switch create the vlan(s) that will relate to the L3 addresses you’ve create on the dlink and assign those vlan(s) to a switch access port that you want your end hosts to reside in  

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card