cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Secondary WAN IP's using Configuration Professional

Timothy Quinn
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure two or three extra WAN IP's on a Cisco 881 router and am trying to stick with using Configuration Professional only for my setup and maintenance guides.

I have found several guides to do this in IOS but nothing on how to do this in CP. I have also dug through all the UI to try and figure it out but it does not appear to be easy to find.

Can someone please advise me if this is possible or do I need to go to IOS to solve this one.

Thanks

- Tim

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I have no idea what Configuration Professional is - bit if you want to add more IP addresses to interfaces use the secondary command

int x/x

ip address v.v.v.v x.x.x.x

ip address y.y.y.y z.z.z.z secondary

hth>

Hi Andrew,

its a GUI based app to configure devices. however, limited what you can do when compair with CLI. there is a optioin you can modify config on CLI on the GUI itself. The best thing is to go in to the CLI mode on the GUI and apply andrew's commands. I haven't played with this tool much. I'll try to check if this is posible but chances are less likely you can have this flexcibility without CLI :-)

Lushan

I would like to understand from Tim what he is trying to accomplish. If he said that he was trying to add a subnet or two then I would agree that secondary addressing might be a good solution. But as I read the original post he says that he is trying to add several additional IPs. If he is trying to utilize additional addresses provided by the provider (increase the address block given by the provider) then using the new addresses in address translation might be a more effective solution than trying to use secondary addressing.

So Tim - can you provide some details about the addressing originally assigned and about this new addressing given by the provider?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The Router is going to be a primary Gateway and Firewall for Colo site for some web app servers. There will be one public IP address for administrative purposes and at least one unique public IP for the web apps. We are leaving our options open for planning on multiple public IPs so I am planning for at least three. I will be NATing the IPs to web servers internally. I am condfiguring one main LAN network which will hold all the statically addressed chassis. This is pretty small scale and being done on a tight budget.

We are trying to ensure that the administrative services (VPN, Remote Admin, ...) are on a different IP than the web servers to reduce the security footprint.

I have on my todo to figure out how to limit VPN and  Remote Access to just one IP. This is still an open one for me but I  think this is doable with the firewall.

Also I am a complete n00b with networking so I appreciate all the guidance I can get

- Tim

Tim

Am I understanding correctly that these additional IP addresses that you want to use are in the same subnet as the IP address used by the router? If so, then secondary addressing is not the solution that you want. What you want to do is static translation of public IP addresses to private IP addresses for the servers, VPN, remote admin, etc. It is not difficult to do using CLI in IOS. I am not familiar with Configuration Professional and can not tell you how easy or difficult it would be to do it in Configuration Professional.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card