cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a non OSPF router to an OSPF area

JohnRosso3555
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to inject a static route from a router that is not configured for OSPF into a mesh network that is configured for OSPF and also send it back to that non-OSPF router via another static router. Basically it would be a totally stubby area connected to the network. One way in and one way out.

No config yet, just not sure if the router needs to participate in the area to be seen in that way.

Any assistance is most appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @JohnRosso3555 ,

if you need to inject the static route in the OSPF area you will need a NSSA area as a totally stub area does not allow for external routes to be generated within it.

Otherwise you will need to configure manually the static route on all routers in the area with appropriate next-hops.

An NSSA area is recommended for your needs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

So I have currently 35 routers in the OSPF area and I only need to hook up this other router and send the route to only one of the routers. Sounds like maybe a stub area is not needed and I can just send it's traffic to this one place and send it back with another static route.

The back up plan would be to just put the router in the area as well and use a static route anyway.

Hello @JohnRosso3555 ,

if the end users that need to talk to the non OSPF router are directly connected to a single OSPF router you can rely on static routes on both devices.

This is the only case where you don't need to inejct the static route into OSPF and you can keep the current area type of totally stub area.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card