cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting two cisco routers

staphisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,   I have set up a lab of 3 physical routers.  trying to create a serial connection using crossover cable via the dsu/csu. I gave them ips and they are in the same subnet and no shut was issue but they are not up.  Please tell me what Im doing wrong.  I'm creating eigrp/ospf routing so I need to connect the 3 computers together .    BTW, im using the two g0/0 and g0/1 for internet connection so the only port left is dsu/csu.   Thx

14 Replies 14

Is that an RJ-45 to RJ-45 Serial connection? If so, you'll need them to be a "DS1 crossover" meaning that instead of crossing over pins 1 & 2 to positions 3 & 6 you instead need 3 & 4 to go to positions 5 & 6.

To diagram:

1       |  2       |  3       |  4       |  5       |  6       |  7       |  8        Position

wo     | o        | wg     | Bl       | wBl     |  g       | wBr    | Br       Starting Pin-Outs

wo     | o        | wBl    | g        | wg      | Bl       | wBr    | Br       Ending Pin-Outs for DS1 Crossover

Compared to

wo     | o        | wg     | Bl       | wBl     |  g       | wBr    | Br       Starting Pin-Outs

wg     | g        | wo     | Bl       | wBl     | o        | wBr    | Br       Ending Pin-Outs for Ethernet Crossover

Thank you but I dont understand the cabling. Please tell me what type of cable i have to buy. the back of my routers have T1 DSU/CSU port. I read that i need DTE/DCE cable but those cables dont come with an ethernet end to connect to my DSU/CSU which an ethernet port.

Please help

Thx

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Did you also configure one of the two serial ports with a clock?

Thank you but I dont understand the cabling. Please tell me what type of cable i have to buy. the back of my routers have T1 DSU/CSU port. I read that i need DTE/DCE cable but those cables dont come with an ethernet end to connect to my DSU/CSU which an ethernet port.

Please help

Thx

Hi

If you are using serial cables you need to identify the DCE port and configure: clock rate 64000, also verify if the interfaces are UP UP using:

show ip interface brief

If they are administrately down you must configure: no shutdown under the interfaces. Example:

interface serial 0/0

no shutdown

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello

I assume you have enabled FR encapsulation?

Example back to back FR- no FR switch

RTR1
int serx/x
encap Fr
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

clock rate 64000  ( this is the dce side of the cross overcable  -  show controller x/x  | in clock  to verify)
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.2 102
no keepaive

RTR2
int serx/x
encap Fr

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.1 102
no keepalive

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I'm not using any frame relay. This is just straight router from time warner cable.  I did encap ppp but the ports are not coming up.  I suppose I cant do the clocking because I dont have the DTE/DTC cable.  This is my question:  Do i have to buy a specific cable to do the clocking?   The crossover cannot do it because it does not define male/female who will do the clocking.

thx

Hello
I have set up a lab of 3 physical routers. trying to create a serial connection using crossover cable via the dsu/csu

I replied to this statement in your OP

For direct back to back serial connection you’ll need a dte/dce crossover cable use either FR encapsulation (example provided) or HDLC encapsulation

Res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I appreciate your effort to help with this. My problem with the dte/dtc wont work because the dsu/csu port in my router. i looked at the dte end but they wont fit in with dsu port. I have attached the port of dsu/csu for you to view.

thx

I appreciate your effort to help with this. My problem with the dte/dtc wont work because the dsu/csu port in my router. i looked at the dte end but they wont fit in with dsu port. I have attached the port of dsu/csu for you to view.

thx

I got the ports up. I'm no using FR. Do I have to do clocking? This is just a crossover dce cable.

Hello,

try the configs below:

R1
=====
interface Serial0/0
description Link to R2
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
service-module t1 linecode b8zs
service-module t1 framing esf
service-module t1 clock source internal

R2
=====
interface Serial0/0
description Link to R1
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
service-module t1 linecode b8zs
service-module t1 framing esf
service-module t1 clock source line

thank you for helping but im not using framerelay. This is just a crossover cable. so I decided to go with

int s0/0/0

enc ppp

ip add ....

Hello

@staphisco wrote:
thank you for helping but im not using framerelay. This is just a crossover cable. so I decided to go with

int s0/0/0

enc ppp

ip add ....

If your crossover cable is applicable for the controller cards you are using  ( meaning not a normal data crossover cable) specific ones for E1/T1 cards then all you need to establish connection use is HDLC encapsulation as I stated previously

review this

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card