cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection between wireless router and switch

Dasha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! I'm working on a lab and I can't connect my wireless router to a pc. It seems that there is just no link between the router and the switch.

My lab says that I should have a wireless router with the following settings:

• SSID - test
  • Channel - 10-2.457 GHz
  • authentication - WPA2-PSK
  • password (I chose "homework")
  • encryption type - AES

I had to apply the idenctic setting to the wireless devices (laptop and smartphone) and use a static IP address (from the same subnet that wireless devices) for my PC with a gateway (identic to the IP address of the router). Could you please tell me what I did wrong? Why I can't send ICMP packets from wireless devices to the PC? (You can find attached my work)

THANK YOU in advance!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I opened your file. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

It looks like you were just using the wrong cable. You need a cross cable to connect the wireless router to the switch. Attached the working file.

By the way, the IP addressing configured on the wireless router was wrong as well (wrong subnet mask).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

the wireless routers in Packet Tracer do not respond to ICMP requests, it is more of a Packet Tracer issue/flaw than a configuration problem.

Hello, Thank you for your reply! That's strange to me because what I am asked to do is to send an ICMP packet from wireless devices to PC. It seems that I can ping wireless devices among each other but I can't ping my PC from wireless devices (both laptop and smartphone). Is there any solution to it?

Hello,

I opened your file. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

It looks like you were just using the wrong cable. You need a cross cable to connect the wireless router to the switch. Attached the working file.

By the way, the IP addressing configured on the wireless router was wrong as well (wrong subnet mask).

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and all the corrections!! I really appreciate that!

Hi, I know this is after really long but if you see this, could I ask why does wireless router and switch connection use a cross-over cable?

Hello,

to be honest, I don't know if a cross cable is required in the 'real', that is, the non-Packet Tracer, world. Probably not, but Packet Tracer has a few quirks, this seems to be one of them...

Ah I see, thanks for the quick reply!

May I ask if you have a table stating maybe what's the cable to use for the different connections in cisco packet tracer, or maybe a brief explanation for which cases to use cross-over and which cases to use straight-through?
thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card