cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Consequence of changing EIGRP router-ID?

Hello.

On a production routing device, if change the EIGRP router-ID, what will be the consequences?

My specific admin issue-- When i use command

sh ip eigrp topology A.B.C.D /24

to see the originating router, I often an given an IP that I don't recognize; thus, I'd like to solve this by changing/creating human-logical recognizable router-id's on each device.

But, I worry that if I do this I will crash the network, because maybe the EIGRP neighbor association will break, or at least churn the network.

Please advise on best solution?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I make lab and test, 
your you use router-id the EIGRP immediately take effect NOT until you do

clear ip eigrp

process. 
see the neighbour is Down/Up 
just want to clear this point 
thanks 
MHM

Screenshot (946).png

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

no only sure that you dont use router-id conflict with other router.
note:- may be you need

clear eigrp

process to make new router-id take effect

My specific admin issue-- When i use command

sh ip eigrp topology A.B.C.D /24

to see the originating router, I often an given an IP that I don't recognize; thus, I'd like to solve this by changing/creating human-logical recognizable router-id's on each device.

But, I worry that if I do this i will crash the network, because maybe the EIGRP neighbor association will break, or at least churn the network.

Please advise on best solution?

Thank you.

Hello!

You can change the router-ID (the EIGRP router ID is chosen as the highest IP address on an active interface on the router, unless loopback interfaces are configured). 
If you change it the router-id the neighbors will form back on the new router-id's (you might want to do a

clear ip eigrp

neighbors) but there won't be any issue because the in connecting interfaces will remain the same...

Just make sure you don't duplicate router-id's!

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

I make lab and test, 
your you use router-id the EIGRP immediately take effect NOT until you do

clear ip eigrp

process. 
see the neighbour is Down/Up 
just want to clear this point 
thanks 
MHM

Screenshot (946).png

Thank you for your inspired effort MHM!

QUESTION: How much time elapses before an EIGRP neighbor reports to its upstream neighbors that a downstream neighbor is offline? (In the above picture, the adjacency restores in less than a second. Did the next hop upstream router send information throughout the network that the downstream router was offline?)

Thank you.

I will share debug of EIGRP notify in all router, it will give clear view of EIGRP behave when router-id change 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card