cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

console connection issue

kmcanly01
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently  discovered that when I try to console directly to our 2821 or 2921 series router, I cannot login without unplugging the T1 connection on the WIC card?

Also when trying to console directly to our 2960g 3560 or 2960s model switches I have to unplug the Gigabit connection upstream towards router as well?

I then can logon with my credentials with no issue. Can anyone explain what is the cause or what in the ios would make me do this. I did not always have to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have not given us much detail to work with. But based on what you describe my first guess is that your devices have been configured with aaa authentication trying to use some authentication server. But there is some problem with the authentication server and these devices. So the authentication server is not authenticating you when you attempt to login to these devices. When you unplug the interface which connects to the authentication server then  you are able to login with local credentials..

As a first step in investigating this issue I would suggest that you post the output of the command

show run | inc aaa

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have not given us much detail to work with. But based on what you describe my first guess is that your devices have been configured with aaa authentication trying to use some authentication server. But there is some problem with the authentication server and these devices. So the authentication server is not authenticating you when you attempt to login to these devices. When you unplug the interface which connects to the authentication server then  you are able to login with local credentials..

As a first step in investigating this issue I would suggest that you post the output of the command

show run | inc aaa

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card