Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Data transfer speed from on-prem server to a Cloud hosted server

We have a on-prem server and we have initiated a file transfer of 3GB to a server hosted in cloud. We could see only 200KBps of file transfer speed. I hope for file transfer, both source and destination machines will negotiate the transfer speed. our WAN link bandwidth is 100 Mbps. We have 2 Firewalls in the path. what could be the cause of this slowness? what needs to checked and tuned?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know much about this environment and so it is difficult to say what is responsible for this level of performance. I have seen many things that could impact file transfer speeds:

- perhaps there is some impediment in reading data from the source file and preparing it for transmission?

- perhaps there is a duplex mismatch (one device operating in full duplex while the connected device is operating in half duplex)? 

- perhaps there is some processing of the data packets somewhere along the path that introduces delay (perhaps the firewalls are encrypting data sent to the peer, or something like that)?

- does the file transfer require acknowledgement of each packet before sending the next packet?

- is there perhaps somewhere along the path dual links and load sharing per packet is implemented (I worked with a customer who had a backup process which sent lots of data to a server at another site and it was running quite long. They implemented a second link between the sites and implemented load sharing to improve performance. Unfortunately they chose load sharing per packet and they discovered that the run time for the backup process more than doubled when they did per packet load sharing)?

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You wan-link capacity is to be considered 'local'. You don't have control on what happens in the cloud , hence results may vary across different destinations.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you. If we need to troubleshoot from source to destination, hop by hop, what are all we need to check and consider for tuning?

If I am understanding the post correctly you have an on prem server sending data to a server in the cloud. That pretty much makes hop by hop troubleshooting impossible since there are (multiple) devices in the path to which you do not have access. Also complicating step by step troubleshooting is the likelihood that the data would sometimes take a different path to get to the server in the cloud.

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know much about this environment and so it is difficult to say what is responsible for this level of performance. I have seen many things that could impact file transfer speeds:

- perhaps there is some impediment in reading data from the source file and preparing it for transmission?

- perhaps there is a duplex mismatch (one device operating in full duplex while the connected device is operating in half duplex)? 

- perhaps there is some processing of the data packets somewhere along the path that introduces delay (perhaps the firewalls are encrypting data sent to the peer, or something like that)?

- does the file transfer require acknowledgement of each packet before sending the next packet?

- is there perhaps somewhere along the path dual links and load sharing per packet is implemented (I worked with a customer who had a backup process which sent lots of data to a server at another site and it was running quite long. They implemented a second link between the sites and implemented load sharing to improve performance. Unfortunately they chose load sharing per packet and they discovered that the run time for the backup process more than doubled when they did per packet load sharing)?

HTH

Rick

Thank you so much..

You are welcome. I am glad that my explanations have been helpful. Performance issues when the service is in the cloud can be very tricky.  Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card