cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCT DTE crossover Cable

getdan
Level 1
Level 1

How do I make A DTE to DCE crossover cable? I am connecting two WIC1 DSU T1 cards in a lab for frame-relay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So have you tried the new cable yet ?

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Connect pins 1,2 from one cable to pins 4,5 of the other. Also connect ping 4,5 from the first cable to pins 1,2 of the second.

Here's a summary:

1 --- 4

2 --- 5

4 --- 1

5 --- 2

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thats what I had but I still can't get the frame links to come up.

Thanks

Is it the physical layer that's not coming up ? If the controller is coming up, but the link-layer (frame-relay) is not coming up, the cabling is not the issue.

Would you be able to post the output of 'sh controller t1 xxx' ?

One other thing, if you are using frame-relay, configure 'frame-relay intf-type dce' under the serial interface at one end. That will allow the link-layer to come up.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Here are the configs of the three routers in the config. nothing comes up with sh controllers t1

Thanks

Would you be able to post the output of 'sh controller Serial0/0' from RouterA please ?

Thanks,

Paresh

Here u go

I think we are getting closer... Could you pls post the output of 'show service-module serial0/0' from routerA and also for the serial port which it connects to on the FRswitch ?

Paresh

Thank you so much for your help... Is it clocking? Both set to line..

Clocking is certainly an issue but you've got a bigger issue to deal with before then. Both interfaces are showing loss of signal, so your cable is the problem.

Could you post the output of 'sh ver' and 'sh diag' from your routers ?

Thanks.

Actually, could you try the following cross-over cable.. I've seen this being used on some occasions...

1 --- 5

2 --- 4

4 --- 2

5 --- 1

Paresh

RouterA is up for now but seems to go back down after while.

Thanks

So have you tried the new cable yet ?

Just got done redoing both cables

1--4

2--5

4--1

5--2

both side of the frame are now up.

looks like I made some bad cables to begin with.

Thank you for youur help. Sorry to have put you thgough this for nothing..

Thanks

Pleasure to be of assistance... You had me scratching my head there for a while - had to be cabling !

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card