Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Relay / IP Helper 2960-X switch

Azuriste
Level 1
Level 1

Hello , 

I'm confusing in where to configure my IP helper or DHcp Relay .I Explain our Topology .
We have DHCP server In Vlan Server . The DHCP services activated ( deployed in Windows Server 2012 ) for the VLans in our Case ( WIFI and End users) .we have the Firewall PaloAlto who manages the routing between Vlans and all the Vlans are propagated in Cisco 2960-X switch Stacks (Layer 2 ) .

Now , i'm confused where should configure my Ip helper .should i configured in my Switch Stack 2960-X  (because the servers and users and access point are connected to this stack ) or should i configure it in my PaloAlto because he is Layer 3 and do interrouting between Vlans ?

Any idea please 
Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

if the routing is done on the Palo Alto, that is where the IP Helper has to go (on all Vlan interfaces except for the Vlan Server) where the DHCP server is located)...

Keep in mind that all the helper does is convert the DHCP broadcasts to unicasts, so it needs to happen on the SVIs...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

if the routing is done on the Palo Alto, that is where the IP Helper has to go (on all Vlan interfaces except for the Vlan Server) where the DHCP server is located)...

Keep in mind that all the helper does is convert the DHCP broadcasts to unicasts, so it needs to happen on the SVIs...

thanks .this is what i'm thinking for .
Regards

If i understand , the configuration should done in Virtual Interfaces ( Wifi and EndUsers ) in Palo Alto !
Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card