Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct internet connection to SPOKE site

shehinpm1
Level 1
Level 1

HI friends,

In one of my spoke site (hub & spoke topology) i hv to connect one internet link direct for internet users,the idea is to reduse the internet traffic

being forward through MPLS link to HUB.MPLS is only using for internal N/W access to HUB and other SPOKES.

all the spoke site used "ospf stub area" and in PE they configured "stub no-summary" as per STUB behaviour the default route injected to backbone area.

i will have to put a default route for new internet connection ,even if i manually try to inject default route to new link will not work.bcoz there already an

default to HUB.

The work solution will be change the STUB to NSSA,nssa will not inject default, and for ospf E2 routes put staic from spke site to hub,

any other soulution for this anybody has any ideas............

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok good luck

By the way when you add the static default route in the spoke you do need to redistribute it into ospf this is site specific not supposed to be propagated to other sites over ospf

If the ISP use area x NSSA default-originate   Will dose the job as NSSA with default route

Also search for reliable default static default route with ip sla

HTH

Pls rate the helpful posts

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

douhanm
Level 1
Level 1

If the Internet is only for the local site you don't need to inject to the MPLs cloud, how many routers on that spoke site?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you describe how do you want each of the hub and spokes to route their Internet traffic ?

Hi marwan,

i need to route the traffic to the internet only from one spoke site.right now HUB is sharing internet to all spokes through

MPLS links.i have only one HUB and 8 spokes.i need to do this on next month,i think the method which i describe abow will work,but i hv to ask to the ISP to change their the area to from "stub no-summary to NSSA.bcoz all routers must agree

the NSSA config.

You can still keep thebroute coming from the ISP to you hub over ospf and add static default route in each spoke router point to the local Internet link and ip sla will take the static default route down if the link is down and the spoke can use the hub as back Internet link. This if you want to have Internet redundancy

HTH

If helpful rate

Hi marwan,

Thanks for u r quick response.

I am ok with u r suggestion. But just consider a scenario like a router in spoke site with having a internet connection from ISP 1 and a another MPLS connection (L3 peer-to-peer vpn) to HUB.

Hub is configured with OSPF area 0 and all spoke configured as “area 100 stub”in this case by default a default route is injected to “area 0” from the spoke router. at the same time I have to manually

Put a static default route to isp1 to make forwarding the internet traffic. But if I do that I think I will lose the connection to HUB, the static default will install in the routing table and forward all the traffic to that next-hope, this will have better AD than ospf.

If I am not wrong the STUB area need to change to prevent default route.wt do u think?

hi SHEHIN PM

i think you will not need to change your network type you can add another default routes for internet which will be prefered

over the ospf one becaz admin distance and that mean all outside area traffic will be forwarded to this link so you will need

to add static routes for outside are network.

this is not my final reply i will think about it more and if i find anything i will let you know

Hi Shehin

The answer is is yes and no

Yes the spoke will use the static default route using the local Internet next hop/link

No about losing the hub: because the PE--hub supposed to send the more specific route about local and remote networks over ospf plus the default route which will be used in the case the static default route with ip sla is down

But be aware you need to make sure the PE has to change the area type with the spoke to NSSA to make sure the intra and inter area route get advertised to the spoke otherwise you right the spoke will receive only default route from the hub side and it will not use it because it has static one

HTH

thanks to , Ali & marvan

i will test this after couple of weeks.tuning the static default won't be the solution for this.yes marvan in ISP side also they hv to change the area type,all the routers must agree NSSA config.and i will add static route for OSPF E1 and E2,becoz NSSA will remove LSA 5 packets.

i will have LSA 5 access if we configure "NSSA-no summary or  nssa default originate command.but in this case connot apply these both command,if we configure this again ABR will originate default route.

marvan i wll do this later and post the result

Ok good luck

By the way when you add the static default route in the spoke you do need to redistribute it into ospf this is site specific not supposed to be propagated to other sites over ospf

If the ISP use area x NSSA default-originate   Will dose the job as NSSA with default route

Also search for reliable default static default route with ip sla

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card