Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribute list on bgp with eigrp running

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a router with eigrp and bgp running.

if i have a "distribute-list 35 out bgp 64515" configured on an eigrp process and the acl 35 is configured with deny all, would this effectively block all advertised network from other eigrp peers from appearing on my routing table.  I was just thinking this would be the case since there is an explicit deny all after i have entered the distribute list.

Would appreciate your expert opinion on this.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The command distribute-list 35 out bgp 64512 used in EIGRP configuration applies only to routes that are redistributed from BGP 64512 and are going to be advertised out to other EIGRP peers. From this it follows that you will not see any change to your own routing table but from all routes redistributed from BGP 64512, your EIGRP neighbors will receive only networks permitted by the ACL 35.

If the ACL 35 is "deny any" then no networks redistributed from the BGP 64512 will be advertised by your EIGRP.

If you do not want to see any EIGRP-learned networks from your neighbors then use the command distribute-list 35 in where 35 is again the ACL containing a single line "deny any".

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The command distribute-list 35 out bgp 64512 used in EIGRP configuration applies only to routes that are redistributed from BGP 64512 and are going to be advertised out to other EIGRP peers. From this it follows that you will not see any change to your own routing table but from all routes redistributed from BGP 64512, your EIGRP neighbors will receive only networks permitted by the ACL 35.

If the ACL 35 is "deny any" then no networks redistributed from the BGP 64512 will be advertised by your EIGRP.

If you do not want to see any EIGRP-learned networks from your neighbors then use the command distribute-list 35 in where 35 is again the ACL containing a single line "deny any".

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card