Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN with HSRP on Cisco 4431

nurbol555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I'm trying to configure two routers cisco 4431, first one will be active second one will be backup router, and i'm trying connect this routers with HSRP throught Sub interface. These two routers will be central hub for DMVPN tunnels. My question is will HSRP work with DMVPN? how can i do this? Will DMVPN tunnel works normal with these two routers or i will have some problem with it?

1 Reply 1

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I guess you want to use HSRP on your WAN interfaces to terminate your VPN right?

Personally, I won't use HSRP. There better way to handle redundancy on a DMVPN network.

You can have 2 tunnels UP from the spoke and play with routing path prioritization. (e.g. if using ospf you can set ip ospf priority on the tunnel interface and make your primary the best patch by setting the highest priority).

Or, the one I prefer, is on the spoke configuration, you can define the 2 HUB as cluster and define 1 Tunnel UP. The tunnel to the backup router will be bring UP when primary is down.

The configuration of clustering looks like:

p nhrp nhs HUB_IP_Primary priority 1 cluster 1
ip nhrp nhs HUB_IP_Secondary priority 2 cluster 1
ip nhrp nhs cluster 1 max connections 1 --> Says that 1 tunnel UP at the time
ip nhrp nhs fallback 5 --> Timers in second.

On the LAN side, you can setup an HSRP to force traffic going to primary or you can play around with routing protocol as well.

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card