cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ipv6 autoconfig need any special setup?

When I run the

ipv6 address autoconfig

command from interface fa0/0 on R2.... if R3 on the other end is configured with a static global unicast address, should R2 use NDP and find the prefix and use eui-64 to make the host-ID without the need for any other specail configuration?

Or do I need to set R3 to properly repond to R2?

At the moment I am doing this in GN3 but R2 is only coming up with a link local address.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

by defaut Cisco routers behave like hosts for IPv6 until ipv6 unicast-routing is configured in global config mode  then it will start sending RAs and replying to RS from the device which has SLAAC configured on an interface.

So configure this command on R3 and R2 will get a prefix from R3 and use EUI64 to complete the host part.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

by defaut Cisco routers behave like hosts for IPv6 until ipv6 unicast-routing is configured in global config mode  then it will start sending RAs and replying to RS from the device which has SLAAC configured on an interface.

So configure this command on R3 and R2 will get a prefix from R3 and use EUI64 to complete the host part.

Regards.

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card