Views
Helpful
Replies

downlimit limit - QoS

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking after a network that has a 10 Mb connection. Whenever an user downloads / laptop does automatic updates, the network becomes unusable. most of the traffic is downloads like microsoft updates or office 365 etc

Will QoS work ? but looking at the firewall, the main traffic is the traffic hitting the firewall on the outbound interface. any thoughts ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

a: We're talking about "slowing" traffic?  Then, yes, TCP should "slow" if packets are dropped.  UDP, alone, doesn't slow, but the application using it might have some form of feedback that will slow if packets are dropped.

b: TCP should slow, but predicting precisely how it will slow depends on multiple variables.  For instance, TCP might go into congestion avoidance or slow start when packets are loss.  How TCP responds to loss packets also depends on the "flavor" of TCP being used and whether the implementation is following the "rules".

c: WRED is for egress, and we've been looking at managing ingress.  One of the features of WRED is to avoid global synchronization of multiple TCP sessions packet drop recovery.  (Personally, I prefer FQ or DBL to avoid that issue.)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you manage the 10 Mbps interface, depending on the device, QoS can be somewhat effective to very effective.

how can i get QoS to control the inbound traffic from internet ?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Often not very effectively.  You can police ingress traffic and you can shape outbound ACKs.  On "special" traffic management devices, they might also spoof TCP RWINs.

Can you give some examples of it,l? I need to block the downloaded traffic from internet

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Block or slow it down?

If block, you match the inbound traffic you want to eliminate and drop it.

If slow it down, again you match the inbound traffic you want to slow and drop any of that traffic over the specific rate.

How to do this depends much on you equipment.

Assuming you have Cisco router that supports NBAR, you might have a policy like:

class-map match-any BadTraffic

match protocol ftp

policy-map ControlBadTraffic

class BadTraffic

drop

*or*

policy-map ControlBadTraffic

class BadTraffic

police 1000000

(NB: I haven't checked the syntax of the above.)

You apply the policy-map on your Internet faxing interface, for input.

FastEthernet 0

service-policy input ControlBadTraffic

so you mean apply this on the inbound interface of the Outside port (Internet facing) ?

i want some sort of acl (which i can create) and limit the traffic on the firewall

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Correct.

If you want to do something similar on a firewall, it should work there too.  Much depends on what the features the firewall provides such as a rate limiter if you want to slow but not totally block some kind of traffic.

Hi Joseph,

is it correct if I say the result may greatly depend on the type of traffic ? I had the same problem in the past but after some reading I understood that:

a) dropping could be effective with TCP traffic but not UDP because UDP has no congestion control mechanism while TCP has sliding window

b) the result is not predicable: I found a lot of studies that try to model and evaluate the effect of dropping TCP packet on the bandwidth used by the TCP session;the overall impression is that it's really hard to predict the effect of dropping packets

c) WRED should be used to avoid a synchronization of TCP session

Thanks in advance for your replay,

enrico

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

a: We're talking about "slowing" traffic?  Then, yes, TCP should "slow" if packets are dropped.  UDP, alone, doesn't slow, but the application using it might have some form of feedback that will slow if packets are dropped.

b: TCP should slow, but predicting precisely how it will slow depends on multiple variables.  For instance, TCP might go into congestion avoidance or slow start when packets are loss.  How TCP responds to loss packets also depends on the "flavor" of TCP being used and whether the implementation is following the "rules".

c: WRED is for egress, and we've been looking at managing ingress.  One of the features of WRED is to avoid global synchronization of multiple TCP sessions packet drop recovery.  (Personally, I prefer FQ or DBL to avoid that issue.)

Thx

Enrico

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card