cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DPC3941T disconnects when bridge mode is enabled

tembofly
Level 1
Level 1

I recently signed up with Xfinity and received a DPC3941T cable modem. I prefer wireless usage. When I enable the bridge mode, the cable modem disconnects, and internet is lost, as well as connection to the unit, so that I cannot access it and change the bridge settings, for example. I saw a video saying that if I enable bridge mode, I need to have a router inline. Even the Comcast/Xfinity people did not know this, assuming it's true. 

1. Is it true that I need a router inline with the cable modem to use the device in bridge mode?

2. What might be some good choices for a Cisco router to use in this situation? I need an ethernet router.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Hello,

when you put the ISP modem in bridge mode, it basically becomes a layer 2, transparent device, and you indeed need a router connected to the ISP modem in bridge mode to get connectivity. The question is: why would you want to put your modem in bridge mode? The DPC3941T is a wireless modem; of course you can get a Cisco router and connect it to the modem if you want to.

Have a look at the CVR100W Wireless-N VPN Router, or the RV215W/RV130W/RV340W routers.

Thank you, Georg.

We have the house wired to avoid the use of wireless and any potential EMF issues. We turn on the wifi when needed, like for guests or iPad updates.

I will research those routers and get one. I see most have wireless ability, so I presume I can leave the DPC3941T in bridge mode and use wireless, when desired, from the router. I just need to be able to turn off the wireless function on the router. 

Do these routers allow you to turn off the wireless component? is there a button or switch on them to make it fast and easy to do?

Hello,

the wireless component can be easily switched off and on through the GUI. I don't know to be honest if these models have a physical on/off switch...

I finally received the router. Hooked it up, got great internet connection, logged into the modem (10.0.0.1), and enabled bridge and again lost all connectivity. Grrr.

I called Comcast to have them remotely enable the bridge, and this is where I got lucky. I got Andrea, out of Colorado, and she was the best ever. She enabled the bridge and showed me how to turn off the WiFi without having to do anything to the bridge. 

It was so simple... Left column, select 'Connections" and then select 'Wifi', and then edit both of my private WiFi networks by 'Disable' the Wireless Network  All fixed.

I didn't need the router at all.

Hello,

glad that you got it resolved !

Just for my understanding, you only have the DPC3941T connected, in bridge mode ? And you have full Internet connectivity without another router being connected ?

Yes, only the DPC3941T is connected; I removed the router. The modem is in bridge mode with the WiFi disabled. 

Works great. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card