Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP connections and BGP

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

I have 1 router with 3 ethernets.

2 of interfaces are ISP connections and I would prefer to 1 over the other.  I added the weight command to neighbor statement.  It took a while but it did start to prefer that.  I want to make sure this is all I need to do to prefer this ISP over the other.   I don't want it to flip unless we have an isssue with the preferred ISP circuit.

The 3rd interface is local subnets that are populated into BGP.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

weight is actually your best choice, since it is the first attribute for best path selection on a Cisco router. There is no way it can 'flip', so you should be fine.

Hello

@Georg Pauwen wrote:

Hello,

There is no way it can 'flip', so you should be fine.

Disagree, you can manaully shutdown a neigbour bgp peering to accomplish such a task
router bgp xx
neighbour x.x.x.x shutdown

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I agree, there are even more ways to 'flip' this:

1. Pour a bucket of water over the router

2. Set the router on fire

3. Smash the router with a sledgehammer

Just kidding. I meant under normal operation of course, without manual intervention. I thought that was obvious...:)

Hello
If you have a single wan rtr with dual isp ebgp peering then bgp weight attribute is applicable for egress traffic from your lan, and the reason why you say it took a while for that the weight to be appllied to your received routes is because after you applied the weight attribute you should have performed a soft reset on the bgp peers which would have applied the changes straight away to the bgp rib

(clear ip bgp soft * in/out)
The other thing you need to consider is ingress traffic from your ISP, I assume you would like the return traffic come via the same ISP your egress and to do that you could use as-path prepending on the least preferred ISP

route-map prepend
set as-path prepend <local ASN  local ASN local ASN>
router bgp xx
neigbourt <isp2> route-map prepend out

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

100% right

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card