Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 to 10mbps LES ?

a.raaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I just want to know how you can upgrade or change from E1 serial to 10mbs LES connection on 2600.

My 2600 has two fa interfaces and 1 serial which is using the e1 circuit.

ISP has suggested to use 10mbps LES circuit, so what all will do i need or can I use the 2nd FastEthernet interface for 10mbps LES ?

Let me know

Thanks in adavance.

A

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

(1)LES (Lan extension service) is a simple fiber optic connectivity between your both the locations.The telco will lay a FO between your both offices and will provide you with Fibre-to-ethernet converters.That connectivity is provided till 1Gbps.

You just need to terminate that RJ-45 to the ethernet port of your router.This will be just like 2 routers connected through a LAN cable :-)

(2)Yes, you can terminate that to ur 2nd port, and can configure it.(access-lists etc if u have any)

Hope I have made things clear to you.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

(1)LES (Lan extension service) is a simple fiber optic connectivity between your both the locations.The telco will lay a FO between your both offices and will provide you with Fibre-to-ethernet converters.That connectivity is provided till 1Gbps.

You just need to terminate that RJ-45 to the ethernet port of your router.This will be just like 2 routers connected through a LAN cable :-)

(2)Yes, you can terminate that to ur 2nd port, and can configure it.(access-lists etc if u have any)

Hope I have made things clear to you.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Hi Jaideep,

Thankyou for the info. It is helpful.

a.raaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi again,

need some more help. I have the new LES link

in place and also would like to keep the old one

eg. current link fa0/0

new les link on fa0/1, I want both the links to work together, independently.

So what all I need to do in regards to routing table etc.

say e.g:- fa0/0 is 192.168.100.9/30

what other address should i give to fa0/1

and what needs to be added in routing table.

Thanks

A

For the ip address you can use anything that you have available. I would use a /30 since this is in effect a point to point.

Depends what you mean work together? A primary/ backup relation is easy if you intend to load share it gets complex.

First guestion is which routing protocol you have running. OSPF and EIGRP are easy. As soon as you define your new circuit it will come up and will be preferred. It will by default use the LES circuit as the primary and the E1 as the backup. If you are running RIP they you will need to need to manually change the hop counts based on the interface.

If you are running all static routes then you need to put in another set of routes exactly the same as the current ones pointing to the far end of the new LES circuit. You then need to modify your current routes to have a higher administrative distance. These will become floating static routes and will only be used if the LES circuit goes down.

If you want to load share them to a point you can do it but it is mostly manually setup.

Please clairfy what you want to do and someone may have a suggestion.

Hi Tdrais,

Thanks a million for the info - really appreciate and it's helpful.

I would prefer to go for resilience rather than loadbalance.

Yes I am using static routes and have the subnet ready for new LES link.

Just want to know what else in regards to routes needs to be changed (administrative distance) as you said "These will become floating static routes and will only be used if the LES circuit goes down."

that's all i need to configure now.

Thanks for you help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card